Sant Antonio Hermitage
The hermitage of Sant Antoni dates back to before the 18th century; in 1737 it is mentioned in a pastoral visit. We should note that Pineda was a closed town, and this chapel was outside. It was a refuge, a hospital for the poor.
It is a small building with a rectangular floor plan, with a curved facade, crowned with a bell tower. Highlights include a stained glass porthole window made by the artist Joan Vila Grau.
It has a baroque style altar inside. At the moment, it opens the day of Sant Antoni, in June, which is also Builder’s Day.
The idea of Camí Ral as the obligatory passage way changed radically in the decade of 1860-70, when the N-II highway that we know today was opened. This road was opened early considering that there were not any motor vehicles like the ones we know today. The N-II was initially conceived as a boulevard with plane trees on both sides.
This new road made Camí Ral lose its former purpose as the obligatory passageway for people and merchandise that came from both Girona and Barcelona.